In this article, we’re going to talk about how to find new people to follow on Instagram. If you already know the name of a profile that you want to follow, then you can easily find it by searching for it in the search bar.
You can also use the Discover People feature to find suggestions for new people to follow, which might even include people from your Facebook profile. Let’s dive in.
Searching with a Username
Open the Instagram app on your phone. If you are already logged in, you will go straight to the homepage.
- Select the magnifying glass icon. This is at the bottom of your screen to the left.
- Select the search bar. This is the grey field that’s at the top of your screen, where you will see the word ‘search’. Your keyboard should automatically come up.
- Select the Accounts tab. This is going to limit your search, so that you don’t have random accounts coming up in the search results.
- Enter the name of the account you are looking for. As you type, relevant results will come up in the search bar.
- Select the account that you want to follow. Go to the user’s profile, and if the page is set to public, then you will see a grid of their posts. If it’s not, then you will just see their profile picture and bio. If you don’t see the account that you’re looking for, then keep scrolling through the search results.
- Select the blue button that says ‘follow’. This is at the top of the page to the left. This is going to let you follow the profile. If the account is private, then clicking follow is going to send them a request which they will then have to approve.
Using the Discover People Tool
- Open your Instagram app on your phone.
- Select the profile icon. This is the outline of a person that you will see at the bottom of your screen to the right. This is going to open your profile.
- Select the menu button. This is the three horizontal lines stacked on top of one another, and you can find it at the top of your screen to the right. A menu will appear.
- Select ‘discover people’. This is the outline of a person with a plus sign next to them. You will find it at the bottom of the menu that has come up. This will display a list of Instagram accounts that Instagram thinks you might be interested in.
- Find the profile that you want to connect with. Go down through the recommended profiles until you find one that you want to connect with. If you have connected your contacts with Instagram, then you probably see some of your contacts on this list. If you haven’t connected your Instagram profile to Facebook, then you will see Facebook as an option, as well as a button that says ‘connect’. This will be near the top of your screen. If you would like our Facebook friends to appear in this section when searching for people to follow, select this button and follow the instructions that will come up.
- Select a profile. This is going to take you to the person’s profile page, so that you can check them out. If the page is public, then you will see a grid of their posts, if it’s not, then you are just going to see their profile page as well as their bio.
- Select the ‘follow’ button to follow that profile. This is the blue button that you will find near the top of your screen. This is going to let you follow the account, which means that you will be able to find this profile in your account’s ‘following’ section in the future. If the account is set to private, then selecting ‘follow’ is going to send them a request which they will then have to approve. Once they have approved this, you will be able to start following them. Select the back button to go back to the Discover People page, where you can find more people to follow.
Syncing Tablet or Phone Contacts
- Open your Instagram app.
- Select the profile icon. It’s the outline of a person that you will find at the bottom of your screen to the right. This is going to open up your profile.
- Find the button that has three lines horizontally stacked on top of one another. You will find this option at the top of the page to the right. A menu will drop down.
- Select ‘settings’. This is the gear icon that you will see at the top of the menu.
- Select ‘account’. This is almost at the bottom of the drop-down menu.
- Select ‘contacts syncing’. You will find this near the middle of the menu.
- Select the ‘connect contacts’ option, and make sure that it is on. This is going to sync your phone contacts with Instagram, which means that once the syncing process is complete, you will see your contacts that have an Instagram profile when you look for people in the Discover People section. You can also disconnect your contacts at any time by sliding this option back to ‘off’.