In this article, we are going to teach you how to use the search feature for Instagram. Instagram lets you search for anything from hashtags to specific topics, both on desktop and through the app. Let’s dive in.
- Open the Instagram app. If you aren’t already logged into Instagram, you will need to do so now.
- Select the search icon. This is a magnifying glass, and you will find it at the bottom of your screen to the left.
- Select the search bar. This is at the top of your screen, and it is going to bring up your keyboard, as well as filter tabs where you can choose how to refine your search.
- Select a filter. Choose how you want to refine your search. There are four different filters to choose from: top, people, tags and places. Top will show you the most popular tags, places and people that are relevant to what you have searched. People will limit your search results to people whose usernames match up with what you have searched. Tags is going to limit your search results to hashtags that directly match your search, and lastly places is going to refine your search results to locations that line up with your search.
- Enter your search keywords. Enter a keyword that you want to use to search, then select ‘search’ on your keyboard. With Android, you can select ‘enter’ or the magnifying glass icon instead. When you are searching for hashtags, you don’t need to include the hash symbol at the beginning of every tag.
- Review your results. Scroll through the results until you have found what you are looking for.
- Open the Instagram webpage through your web browser. If you aren’t already logged in, you will be prompted to do so.
- Select the search bar. This will be at the top of your page, to the right of where it says ‘Instagram’.
- Enter your search keywords. You can either type in a location, word or name for what you are wanting to search.
- Check out your search results. As you type, you will see your search results start to appear underneath in a menu that will drop down. You can go through the results until you find what you are looking for.