Instagram is a popular social media sharing app that’s been around for quite a while now – 11 years, to be exact.
It is now available in more than 25 languages around the world, and it is used by brands big and small to market their products. In this article, we’re going to teach you how to download the Instagram app and set it up for success. Let’s dive in.
- Download the Instagram app. You can do this by looking up ‘Instagram’ in the app marketplace on your device. Once you’ve found it, you can begin the process of downloading it.
- Open the app on your phone.
- Create an account be selecting ‘sign-up’ at the bottom of the screen. Now, you will be able to enter your username, password, email address, and phone number. Your phone number is optional, but definitely recommended. You will also be able to upload a profile picture at this point as well. If you already have an account on Instagram, you can select ‘sign in’ at the bottom of the login page and enter your account information here.
- Select who you want to follow. Once you have finished creating your Instagram account, you can start the process of finding friends to follow. You can do this by looking for people from your contact list, your Twitter account, or your Facebook account. You can also do a manual search. You will need to provide Instagram with your Twitter or Facebook information before you can choose friends to follow from either of these platforms. You can also choose to follow recommended Instagram users by selecting the ‘follow’ button next to their name. Following people lets you see their posts in your feed. You can add friends whenever you want from within your account, even after you have finished creating it.
- Choose ‘done’ when you’re ready to go to the next stage. This is going to take you to your home page on Instagram, which is where you will be able to see the posts from people that you now follow.
Using Tabs on Instagram
- Find the home tab. This is the default tab where you begin, which is your feed – a collection of images and videos that you have uploaded to your Instagram profile. From here, you can select the + icon at the top of your screen to the left to post and record an Instagram story for your existing followers to view. You will need to let Instagram access your camera and microphone to do this. If you want to view your messages, select the delta symbol that’s at the top of your screen to the right.
- Look up the search page by using the magnifying glass button. This is going to be to the right of the home tab, right at the bottom of your screen. From here, you can look for keywords and accounts by entering them into the search bar at the top of your screen. Beneath this search bar, you will see celebrity Instagram Stories.
- Check out the activity of your account by selecting the heart icon. This is right next to the plus icon at the bottom of your screen. This is where you will be able to look at all of your notifications. This will include things like comments and likes on your photos, as well as friend requests.
- Go to your own profile by selecting the account icon. This is the icon that is shaped like a person, and you will find it at the bottom of your screen to the right. From here, you can select the plus icon at the top of your screen to the left if you want to add friends from your contact list and Facebook. Select the three horizontal bars at the top of your screen to the right and then the three vertical dots at the bottom of the screen if you want more Instagram options. From here, you can adjust your account settings, and add other social media accounts and friends.
Select the ‘edit profile’ option to the right of your profile image if you want to change your username or name, include a bio on your profile, and include a link to your website. You can also use this option to edit your private information too, including your email address and phone number.
- Go back to the home page by selecting the icon that is shaped like a house. This is at the bottom of your screen to the left. If anyone you are following has posted since you last visited the home page, then you will be able to see their content.
Adding Photos to Your Instagram Profile
- Select the plus icon to upload an image. This is at the bottom of the screen in the middle. From here, you can add images from your camera roll, or you can take a photo to upload if you wish.
- Review your camera options. You’ve got three options when it comes to uploading an image. The first is library, which is where you will upload an image that is already in your library. The second is a photo, where you will take a photo and upload it straight away. The third if video, where you can record a video using Instagram’s camera. You will need to let Instagram access your microphone to do this.
- Take a photo or choose one. If you are taking a video or a photo, then you will need to select the circular button at the bottom of your screen. If you are choosing a photo that already exists, then select ‘next’ at the top of your screen to the right.
- Choose a filter for your image. You can do this at the bottom of your screen. On average, there are 11 filters that you can choose from. The main intention of using a filter on an existing image is to make it more interesting. You can also download additional Instagram filters. You can select ‘edit’ at the bottom of your screen to the right to adjust aspects of the photo, like structure, brightness and contrast.
- Select ‘next’. This is at the top of your screen to the right.
- Include a caption with your image. You can do this in the ‘write a caption’ field at the top of your screen. You can also include tags with your photo here as well.
- Review your image options. Before you share your photo to your feed, you will want to tag anyone who is in the image and add a location. You will need to give Instagram access to your current location in order to do this. You might also want to post your image to Twitter and Facebook as well. You can do this by toggling the switch right so that it says ‘on’. You will need to make sure that your Instagram profile is linked to your external accounts for this to work.
- Select ‘share’ at the top of your screen to the right.