If at some point you need to get rid of an Instagram video or image, we’re going to break it down in this article into easy-to-follow steps. At some point, everyone wants to get rid of an Instagram post, even if it is years later.
People change their minds frequently about what content they like, and the best part is that Instagram makes it super simple for you to get rid of content you don’t want anymore.
Delete a Post
- Log into your Instagram profile. You can only delete a post if you are getting rid of them from the same profile.
- Select the profile button that you will see at the bottom of your screen to the right. This is going to take you to your account.
- Next, choose the photo that you wish to get rid of.
- At the top of your page to the right, you will see three dots. Select these.
- Select the word ‘delete’ that will be in bright red.
And that is it. Your Instagram photo has been deleted. There are many reasons why you might want to get rid of an Instagram photo. For example, you might have uploaded it accidentally, and you want a fresh start with it.
Celebrities are well-known for getting rid of all of their posts before they launch a new campaign or start on a new project.
Right before she announced her new album in 2017, Taylor Swift got rid of all of her Instagram posts. This caught people’s attention, and it also gave her a chance to rebrand her Instagram. If you are trying to start fresh on Instagram, then deleting your posts gives you a nice blank canvas to work with.
Archiving Instagram Content
If you don’t want to go as far as to get rid of an Instagram image or video, then there are other things that you can do instead. One of these is to archive your content.
This means that people won’t be able to see them on your feed anymore, but you can still see them in another part of your Instagram profile. Archiving is a good idea because it means that you get to keep all the likes and comments on your posts as well. Plus, you can always put it back on your feed at a later date.
Let’s check out how to archive Instagram posts.
- Log into your Instagram profile and go to your profile’s homepage.
- Select the post that you want to archive and select the three little dots.
- Select ‘archive’.
- The post will be removed from your feed.
- Select the icon that looks like a clock at the top of your profile to the left.
- Select ‘archive’ and then ‘posts’. This is where you will be able to find all of your archived posts.
- If you want to put any of your content back into your feed, then select the image, and the three dots again.
- Select ‘show on profile’ and it’s going to appear back on your feed again straight away.
If you’re not sure whether you should get rid of an Instagram post, then this is a great rehearsal. You can give your feed a clean slate, but you can keep all of your content. It’s also a great option for people that are typically undecisive.
Archiving posts means that you won’t have anything to regret. You get the look of getting rid of your Instagram content, without actually losing any of it.
How to Delete Every Single Instagram Post
Sadly, Instagram doesn’t have a straightforward way to bulk delete or edit photos. However, there are third party apps that can help you with this. Cleaner for Ins is a popular third-party app For iPhone that can help you bulk unlike, bulk unfollow, and bulk delete Instagram posts.
The great thing about it is that it’s free to use, so all you need to do is choose the photos you want to get rid of, and in one click, you can make them disappear.
If you are on Android, then you need to try Cleaner for Instagram. This app can help you delete five Instagram posts at once, but if you want to get rid of more than this, you will need to upgrade, and pay for it.
Deleting Your Instagram
If you need to go a step further and delete your entire Instagram account, then this might be the best option. You can do this from your computer, or on mobile.
However, we recommend that you don’t take this decision lightly, as you might want to get back onto your Instagram at some point in the future. Instead, we recommend that you disable your Instagram profile. You can only disable your Instagram profile from your computer.
- Log into your Instagram account through your web browser.
- Select the person icon that will be at the top of the page to the right.
- Select ‘edit profile’.
- Scroll down the options until you find ‘temporarily disable my account’.
- Select this and Instagram will ask you why you are choosing to disable your profile.
- Choose your reason, and then re-enter your password.
- Confirm that you want to disable your Instagram profile.
Once you have done this, your Instagram profile will officially be disabled. If you want to reactivate it, you’ll have to wait for 24 hours and then log back in.
So, if you want to do more than just delete Instagram posts, but you don’t want to regret deleting your entire Instagram account at some point, then we recommend that you disable it temporarily.
How to Delete an Instagram Story
If you spend a lot of time on Instagram, then deleting an Instagram post isn’t going to be the only thing you might want to do.
At some point, you might want to also get rid of an Instagram story. The good news is that deleting an Instagram story is pretty much the same as deleting an Instagram post. Open your Instagram story and when you find the update that you want to delete, select the three little dots again.
It is going to ask you if you are sure, and from here, you can confirm that you are. The good thing about Instagram stories is that they are all automatically archived when you post them. Just know that if you delete one from your story, it isn’t going to come up in your archives anymore.
If you want to delete an IGTV video, you will need to wait until it’s completed uploading. Find the video and select the three little dots. Select delete and follow the same steps. As you can see, it’s super easy.
There’s everything you need to know when it comes to deleting an Instagram post. It’s going to be super helpful one day when you accidentally post something you don’t want everyone to see.
Or, perhaps you have scrolled down to your first Instagram posts, and have decided that they don’t need to be on there anymore. Don’t worry, we’ve all done this.