In this article, we’re going to help you learn how to disable audible and visual notifications for Instagram. Instagram might want to notify you when someone comments or likes one of your posts, or if someone has direct messaged you.
You can also choose to receive notifications about specific actions as well. Let’s dive in.
Enabling Notifications for iPhone
- Open the settings on your iPhone. You can find this on your home screen, and it looks like gears.
- Select ‘notifications.’ You will find this towards the beginning of the menu. This is going to open a list of apps that currently support notifications.
- Scroll down and select ‘Instagram’. The apps will be listed in alphabetical order, so you will need to scroll down to I to find Instagram. If you can’t see Instagram here, then you might need to wait until you have received a notification from the app. If Instagram is still not coming up, then you might want to try uninstalling the app, and then reinstalling it again. When you reinstall the app, you will need to select ‘allow notifications’ when asked. Once you have done this, then Instagram should appear on this list.
- Select the ‘allow notifications’ option and make sure that the switch is set to on. This can be found at the top of your screen. When you turn it on, it will be green, and this signifies that Instagram can now send you notifications. If you want to disable notifications for Instagram, then toggle the switch again so that it is off.
- Disable or enable other notifications. There will be a number of options for Instagram in your settings that allow you to decide which notifications you want to receive, and which ones you don’t. These are ‘sound’, ‘badge app icon’, ‘show on lock screen’, ‘show in history’, and ‘show as banners.’ ‘Sounds’ means that you can turn off Instagram sounds, and ‘badge app icon’ will turn off or on badge icons, which are the numbers that display in the corner of the Instagram app when you have any notifications pending.
‘Show on lock screen’ is the ability to turn notifications on or off that appear on the lock screen of your iPhone. ‘Show in history’ means that you can turn notifications off or on for your Instagram’s history. Lastly, ‘show as banners’ means that when your iPhone is unlocked, the notifications will be displayed at the top of the screen like a banner.
- Choose an alert style. Underneath the ‘show as banners’ option, you will see ‘persistent’ or ‘temporary’. This won’t be available if you have turned off ‘show as banners’. ‘Temporary’ means that the alerts will appear for a moment before disappearing again, whereas ‘persistent’ means that they won’t go away until you swipe at them.
- Select a preview option. This is going to decide whether you can see the content of a notification from Instagram before you open it. Scroll down and find ‘show previews’, then select ‘always’, ‘when unlocked’ or ‘never’.
- Select the ‘back’ button two times. This will be at the top of your screen to the left. This is going to take you back to your notifications page, and it will save your changes. Instagram can now send you notifications.
Enabling Notifications for Android
- Open your settings for Android. This will be a white gear icon.
- Scroll down until you can see ‘apps’. Select this option. This is going to open your list of currently available apps. You can also select ‘applications’ if you are on a Samsung Galaxy.
- Scroll down until you see Instagram. This will be in the I section.
- Select ‘notifications’. You will find this in the center of the page. This is going to open the settings page for Instagram notifications.
- Turn on your notifications. You will see a ‘allow peeking’ switch that will need to be blue, not grey. If you want to get notifications from Instagram even when your phone is in ‘do not disturb’ mode, then select the ‘treat as priority’ option too. To turn off your notifications, switch back ‘allow peeking’ then select ‘block all’.
- Select the ‘back’ button. This is at the top of your screen to the left. This is going to take you out of the notifications menu for Instagram, and it will also save your changes.
Choosing Your Notifications
- Open Instagram’s app.
- Select the profile icon, which is the outline of a person at the bottom of your screen.
- Open your settings. This is the icon that is shaped like a gear for iPhone, or three dots for Android. This is going to open your settings.
- Go down and find ‘push notification settings’. This is underneath the ‘settings’ option that you will see in the center of your page. You might have to select ‘push notifications’ instead.
- Select your settings to enable. You can work out which actions you would like a push notification for here. Find a notification, then select the notification option. Select ‘off’ to disable notifications for that kind completely. You can repeat this process for each type of notification.
- Select the ‘back’ button. This will take you out of the notification’s menu.
Enabling Post Notifications
- Open Instagram.
- Go to someone’s profile. Type the username into the search bar, and select their account when it comes up.
- Follow the user if you need to. You will need to follow them in order to turn on post notifications.
- Select the horizontal (iPhone) or vertical (Android) dots that you will find at the top of your screen to the right. A menu will come up.
- Select ‘turn on post notifications’. This option is on the menu that you now see. This is going to turn on the post notifications, which means that whenever that profile uploads a post, you will get a notification about it. You can disable post notifications by going to the same menu and selecting ‘turn off post notifications’.