When you post on Instagram, Instagram keeps a track of everything that you upload. The same goes for your search history. We’re not saying that you have looked up inappropriate things on the popular social media sharing app. We just want to remind you that whatever you are looking up on Instagram, Instagram keeps track of it.
This means that if you have used certain hashtags for your posts in the past, then these hashtags are going to pop up again whenever you look for hashtags that relate to them. It makes life easier, but it does mean that you have a track record.
How to Delete Instagram Search History
A personal record like this can be helpful, but you might want to reconsider it in case you care about your privacy. It also means that you will constantly see users that you don’t really want to see in the recommended Instagram searches.
There is the occasional time where you want to stalk a friend or celebrity that you have just heard of. Don’t worry, you are not the only one.
Instagram will remind you about your past searches by showing these profiles to you again as suggestions when you search for a similar profile on Instagram search. However, there is a good chance that you find this approach annoying, and you might want to delete your search history for Instagram. If this is the case, then keep reading.
In this article, we will show you how to get rid of unwanted Instagram search histories. We will also teach you how to prevent specific Instagram profiles from showing up in your Instagram searches.
Once you’ve done this, you will no longer be able to view your search history directly. The advantage will be that you can easily find your favorite hashtags and people once again.
Steps for Deleting Your Instagram Search History
The good news is that it’s only going to take you five minutes or less to get rid of your search history for Instagram. Just keep in mind that you can only do it through the Instagram app, and not through a web browser.
- Open the Instagram app.
- Log into your Instagram profile using your password and username. If you’re already logged in, then you won’t need to do this.
- Go to your Instagram page.
- Select the three horizontal lines that you will see at the top of your page to the right. Then, visit ‘settings’, which is the icon of the gear that you will see at the bottom of the page.
- Go all the way down until you see ‘search history’. Select this and you will see an option to ‘clear search history’.
Select this. Instagram is going to ask you to confirm this. Choose ‘yes, I’m sure’. If you are using an iPhone, you can easily clear your Instagram search history from the Instagram search bar.
On the Instagram search bar, you will see your history, which is going to be a list of hashtags or users that you have recently searched for, and a ‘clear’ option at the top of your page to the right. Select this option, and this is going to instantly get rid of your search history.
Nice and easy right?
Now that you know how to delete search history for Instagram, let’s talk about how you can hide specific accounts on Instagram as well.
How to Prevent Certain Users from Coming up in Your Searches
You might notice that you are seeing the same suggestions time and time again when you search for people to follow. There aren’t too many people out there that don’t get annoyed by this. The good news is that there is a way to hide these Instagram profiles from your Instagram search history.
- Open the Instagram app.
- Log into your account if you need to.
- On your Instagram profile, you will see an icon of a magnifying glass at the bottom of the page. This is the search button. Select this, then select the ‘search bar’ that you will see at the top of your page.
- You will see four choices: people, tags, places, and top. Select ‘people’ or ‘top’.
- Select the user that you want to get rid of. Instagram is going to ask you to confirm your decision. Select ‘hide’.
That’s all you need to do. Once you’ve done this, you won’t be able to see the users again, unless you manually search for them.
My Search History Won’t go Away?
If your search history comes up even after you’ve deleted it, don’t worry, just keep reading. There are solutions to this issue.
Restart Your Phone
Once you have gotten rid of your search history, we recommend that you restart your phone. Sometimes all it takes to fix a technical issue on your phone is to simply restart it. If this doesn’t work, then try out the next solution.
Log Out of Your Instagram
Another way to fix the issue is by logging out from the Instagram app. To log out, visit your profile page, and select the three horizontal line icon that you’ll see at the top of your screen to the right.
Now, go to settings, and go all the way down to the bottom where you will see the option to log out. Select this.
From here, restart your phone. Once you’ve done this, log back into your Instagram profile.
Clear App History and Cache
If you are an Android user, then you might want to try another solution. You could try clearing your history and cache.
- Go to the ‘settings’ section of your phone, and then find ‘app management’.
- Select the Instagram app, and find the app storage.
- Under these settings, you will see two options to choose from: ‘clear storage’, or ‘clear data’. There will also be ‘clear cache’ available. Select this last option.
- Restart your phone. If the issue isn’t resolved, then move on top step five.
- Repeat steps one and two. This time select ‘clear storage’ or ‘clear data’.
When you clear your cache, you only clear the app’s temporary storage, where it keeps data or images temporarily from the Internet. However, when you clear the apps data, you basically delete all data, like your password, and username.
When this happens, the app will go back to the state it was when it was installed for the first time.
Uninstall Your Instagram App
Your last resort is to uninstall your Instagram app. To do this for Android, follow the steps below.
- Find ‘settings’ on your phone and find ‘app management’. Then, select Instagram.
- Select ‘uninstall’ or ‘delete’ – depending on the device that you have. This is going to get rid of the app from your phone straight away.
You can also uninstall the app from the Google Play store. Select and hold down the app until it starts wiggling. Then, select the ‘x’ button at the top of the app. This is for iPhone.
Do whatever you think is going to be easiest for your needs. Once you have uninstalled the app, we recommend restarting your device. Then, install the Instagram app again.
So, if you don’t want to leave a trail when searching for people and tags on Instagram, then we recommend that you follow the steps above that are going to teach you how to delete your Instagram search history.
You can also hide those users that you don’t want to see get suggested when you do your Instagram searches.
However, if clearing your search history isn’t enough to solve the issue, at least you’ve got another four solutions that you can try to help with the problem. Hopefully, it is all going to work out. Good luck!